Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Processing...

I wrote this post back in December, and had planned to finish it after I "processed" some more...but I didn't come up with anything else. With the Grammy's coming up this weekend, this seemed the ideal time to finally publish this post...

My dear husband and I went to a concert tonight. It was great to get out without the kids. We had a quick dinner at a favorite restaurant and then walked across the footbridge to the "arena" at my alma mater...the university in our town. It was also the alma mater of the lead singer of the concert we went to. And this is his hometown. He was just nominated for 4 Grammy's (yes, the real Grammy's!) along with little names you might have heard of like Adele, Katy Perry, and Mumford and Sons. Yep, he is going head-to-head with those "giants" in the current music scene.

The concert tonight was great, in a very overwhelming, stimulating, can't quite take-it-all-in kind of way. Justin (the lead singer) must have a passion for sound, and combinations of sound, and crazy rolling combinations of sound, and...well, I don't know how to describe it really. I am processing...

The band included 9 people including the lead singer: 2 violinist/guitarists, 2 drummers with full drum sets, a guy who played clarinet/saxophone/and who knows what else, a couple brass players, and a big guy that I'm not sure exactly what all he did (keyboard, percussion, maybe brass too...).


The musical combinations were the result of genius. Truly...it wasn't something that is just written down and handed over to someone to play. It had to be "felt", and understood, and believed before it could be played by any of the musicians. And this "kid" from my hometown was the genius orchestrating the combined genius. Crazy!

There were moments where my body was literally vibrating with all the sound and it wasn't just because it was loud, it was because the sound was so BIG. So deep. So engulfing. Sometimes in perfect harmony, and sometimes in very well orchestrated discord.

I hadn't listened to more than a couple snippets of Bon Iver's music prior to the concert tonight, but now...I need to listen to more. Not because it was my favorite...it wasn't. But because I need to figure it out a bit more. I need to listen, and I need to process...

No comments:

Post a Comment