Saturday, December 31, 2011

Christmas, part 5

Ok, this isn't really a separate Christmas either, but it is just easier to stick with one naming strategy once I started it.

Christmas morning, since I was a little girl, is when we open our "stocking" presents. These presents are theoretically from Santa, but I think I knew from a pretty young age that Santa wasn't real (sorry if I ruined it for anyone!). It was always a fun part of our tradition, but was not the focus of what Christmas was about. Stocking presents were generally small things like an ornament, fun socks, small toys or other little things like that.

Thankfully, I married a man who had the same Christmas traditions (main gifts Christmas Eve and stocking presents Christmas morning), so we have now continued that with our children. As I mentioned in a previous post, we don't put a lot of focus on Santa, and I don't know what my kids truly believe about him (it would for sure ruin it for them if I asked!). If they do believe in Santa, that is fine. If they already don't believe in Santa, that is fine too.

What there is no debate over in our house is what the whole reason for Christmas is! Our kids are probably already tired of hearing from us some version of "but you know that the presents and all those type of things we do at Christmas are because God sent us the very best gift of all...His Son!". They can probably quote it in their sleep, but that is good. It should come to us automatically when we are asked why we celebrate Christmas. I have made a new promise to God to keep life even more simple over this next year, and especially to focus more on Him throughout the year, and into next Christmas. I am excited to see how this will look for our family.

Anyway...the whole reason I started this post...Christmas morning:


Merry Christmas from our family to yours! (even though now it is New Years...)

No comments:

Post a Comment